Little did many of us, as noise fans know of the underground cult-like experimental music/noise scene that came from Spain in the early to mid-80s. Thanks to Insane Muzak, our offering today is an important but limited release which will re-birth this cult to life in mid-January. Golpea Tu Cerebro-Spanish Underground Cassette Culture 1980-1988 is a 2xLP release limited to 440 copies. Release date is around January 15.
From Insane Muzak: ” In the early 80s, with few resources but unlimited imagination, youngsters all across Spain started recording at home their experimental, noise, electronic and industrial cassettes.
We’re talking about what probably was the first DIY and truly independent music scene in Spain. Individualism and avant-gardism in opposition to superficiality and emptiness. Most of these projects were just one-man operations or collectives created by friends. We’re talking about underground tape labels like ä.d.n, El Consumo Del Miedo, Auxilio de Cientos, S.T.I., Obreros del Sonido, Toracic Tapes, 3EM…and fanzines like Cloruro Sónico, Necronomicon, Particular Motors, Syntorama, El Papel de la Merienda…”
Fans of early underground noise releases are going to absolutely love this compilation especially if you are unfamiliar with the early Spanish underground scene. The diversity, purity and character in each of the tracks shines all the way through each side. Many of the artists and labels herein were influenced by DIY, Futurism, Dada as well as by the early Industrial bands (Throbbing Gristle, Whitehouse, Nurse With Wound, S.P.K, Cabaret Voltaire, NON, Esplendor Geométrico, etc).
In one moment, (“Area Pupilar” by Uvengraf) you go from dismal primitive drone to Linea Tactica’s strange and harsh cut-up and disjointed harsh insanity in “Ambient Music For Empty Congress.” In the case of Quaxar’s – “Ominous Scrab”, what we hear is downright disturbing and frightening. From the warped, space-like vibe of Fisodo 13.4’s “El Universo Es Mi Casa” to the high-frequency piercings of Zumbi-2’s “Frecuencias” to the harsh drone/noise blanket of Francisco Lopez’ 1980 “Untitled” piece… Golpea Tu Cerebro-Spanish Underground Cassette Culture 1980-1988 truly covers all of the dynamics of this criminally over-looked underground scene.
I’m extremely excited for the noise scene about this release. There are a lot of artists out there who continue to push the boundaries of noise and experimental music. But it’s compilations like this that bring us back to the likes of artists who pioneered it if even in areas that we might not have expected. It further gives us a different perspective of the unifying qualities and the differences in dynamics this art has from culture to culture.
Included are tracks originally released on rare cassettes as well as compilations along with a few unreleased tracks. The tracks on this release were taken from the original cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes and remastered by Angel Alvarez, not surprising considering the purity in the audio which now is given further character through the LP release.
Golpea Tu Cerebro-Spanish Underground Cassette Culture 1980-1988 includes 52 page LP-sized insert with English/Spanish liner notes and photos. Download card included. There was an incredible amount of thought and care that was put into this release. So, trust me… you fans of early noise or those who want to go back and explore its early origins, need to check this out. At this point, I’m not sure if there will be a stand-alone digital download release but as soon as I find out, I will update the post.
Golpea Tu Cerebro-Spanish Undergorund Cassette Culture 1980-1988 will be available around January 15.
1. BULBO RAQUÍDEO – CUANDO ME ENTRA EL TELELE (1981)
2. EL PUNTO DE VISTA OPERATIVO – PREPARADO PARA LA GUERRA (1981)
3. COMANDO BRUNO – LOS DESCUIDOS DE MARSHA (1984)
4. LA OTRA CARA DE UN JARDÍN – ACEDERA (1985)
5. FÉLIX MENKAR – CANTOS IMAGINARIOS (1986)
6. ÉTICA MAKINAL – EL PLACER DE LA CARNE (1986)
7. L’AKSTREMAUNÇIÓ – HRÖNIR (1986)
1. C-307 – K-04 (1986)
2. QUAXAR – OMINOUS SCRAB (1985)
3. EL ENTERRADOR ENTERRADO – LA YUGULAR DEL PETRÓLEO (1988)
4. ZUSSAMENWACHSEN – SIN TÍTULO (EXTRACTO) (1984)
5. TÉCNICA MATERIAL – LOS QUE SUFREN (1986)
6. BRIGADA NADIE – SIN TÍTULO (EXTRACTO) (1986)
7. UVEGRAF – ÁREA PUPILAR (1986)
1. LÍNEA TÁCTICA – AMBIENT MUSIC FOR EMPTY CONGRESS (1980)
2. FÍSODO 13.4 – EL UNIVERSO ES MI CASA (1986)
3. NEO ZELANDA – MORGANA (1984)
4. ZUMBI-2 – FRECUENCIAS (1986)
5. INTERACCIÓN – AYUTEN (1985)
6. POLÍDRICO – SIN TÍTULO (EXTRACTO) (1986)
1. IÉXIMAL JÉLIMITE – LA NOCHE DE LAS VÍSCERAS PALPITANTES (1985)
2. FRANCISCO LÓPEZ – UNTITLED (1980)
3. SEPTIEMBRE NEGRO – LA INSPIRACIÓN DE LAS ESCRITURAS (1984)
4. EL COLECCIONISTA DE POLIEDROS – GOLPEA TU CEREBRO (1986)
5. 1985 – MADRID ES UNA CIUDAD MUNDIAL (1984)
6. OH-CASIO-ÓN – ANUNCIOS POR PALABRAS (1987)